Accused Fort Lauderdale Airport Shooter Expected to Enter Plea

Broward County Sheriff’s Office(FORT LAUDERDALE, Fla.) -- The man accused of killing five people and injuring six others at an airport in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, earlier this month is expected to enter a plea at an appearance in federal court Monday morning.

Among the 22 counts against Iraq war veteran Esteban Santiago, 26, is performing an act of violence at an airport that caused death.

The Jan. 6 shooting took place at a baggage claim at the Fort Lauderdale–Hollywood International Airport and targeted "newly-arrived passengers retrieving their luggage," according to federal prosecutors.

Santiago purchased a one-way ticket from Alaska to Fort Lauderdale two days before his Jan. 5 flight, and his only checked baggage was a gun, FBI agent Michael Ferlazzo said in court earlier this month.

According to court documents, Santiago picked up his bag from the Fort Lauderdale baggage claim then loaded the gun inside a bathroom.

Santiago was seen on video pulling the gun out of his waistband. According to the charges against him, he then allegedly opened fire at numerous people, aiming at their heads and bodies until he was out of ammunition.

The five people killed in the attack were in Fort Lauderdale for cruise vacations.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Georgia police officer shot, killed while responding to report of suspicious vehicle

iStock/Thinkstock(SNELLVILLE, Ga.) -- A police officer was shot and killed near a school in Georgia after responding to a report of a suspicious vehicle, authorities said.Antwan Toney and another officer approached a vehicle near the Shiloh Middle Scho...