‘Affluenza teen’ Ethan Couch expected to be released

iStock(FORT WORTH, Texas) -- Ethan Couch, the Texas man known for claiming "affluenza" as part of his defense in a fatal DUI crash, will undergo additional testing to prove that he did not violate his parole, his lawyers said Friday.

Couch, 22, had been on probation since being released from jail in April 2018 after serving 720 days for earlier violating his probation in connection with a drunken-driving accident that killed four people and injured several others.

He was back in Tarrant County Jail on Thursday after he tested positive for THC in a mandatory drug screening that was part of his probation, court documents showed.

His lawyers said they expect he will be released Friday or Monday, pending further investigation and additional testing.

"We are optimistic the additional testing will verify Ethan has not knowingly and voluntarily used alcohol, THC, or any other prohibited substance since being released from custody more than 20 months ago," attorneys Scott Brown and Reagan Wynn said in a statement to ABC News.

"Ethan is committed to his sobriety and to remaining compliant with all of the terms and conditions imposed by the Court," the statement continued.

Couch was ordered to be held without bail after he tested positive on Thursday.

At his 2013 trial, Couch was found guilty of four counts of involuntary manslaughter and initially sentenced to 10 years of probation and time in a rehabilitation center.

The case garnered national attention when, during the sentencing phase, a psychologist testified that the then 16-year-old Couch was a product of "affluenza" -- a term he used to describe Couch's irresponsible lifestyle associated with his affluent upbringing -- and that irresponsible parenting had "strongly enabled" the accident, even though Couch had a blood-alcohol level three times the legal limit on the night of the crash.

While on probation in 2015, Couch failed to show up to a check-in with his probation officer, sparking a manhunt. Authorities discovered he'd fled to Mexico with his mother, Tonya Couch.

Couch and his mother were arrested in Puerto Vallarta after U.S. Marshals and other American law enforcement agencies pursued them for nearly two weeks.

After being extradited to the U.S., Couch was sentenced to 720 days in jail for violating the terms of his probation -- 180 days for each victim.

Meanwhile, Tonya Couch was charged with hindering apprehension of a known felon and money laundering, but released on bond. Her case is still pending.

Late Thursday, attorneys for Ethan Couch released a statement that read, in part: "Based on the limited information available to us, the only basis for the issuance of the warrant is that Ethan was allegedly 'positive' for THC on a Substance Abuse Test Patch. Ethan has been intensely monitored for alcohol and illegal substance use, including constantly wearing the required patch, for more than 20 months and has never been positive for the use of any substance before. We cannot make any further statement until we have the opportunity to conduct an investigation to determine if, in fact, Ethan ingested THC and, if so, if it was a voluntary act on his part."

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Man dies after being zipped into suitcase, girlfriend arrested

Man dies after being zipped into suitcase, girlfriend arrestedOrange County Sheriff's Office(WINTER PARK, Fla.) -- A woman in Florida has been arrested in the death of her boyfriend after she allegedly zipped him into a suitcase and left him there for hours, authorities said.

Sarah Boone, 42, called authorities Monday afternoon to report that her boyfriend, 42-year-old Jorge Torres Jr., was dead at her Winter Park home, according to the arrest affidavit. Boone said they were playing hide-and-seek when the couple "jokingly thought it would be funny if Jorge got in the suitcase," and Boone zipped him inside.

Boone said they had been drinking alcohol that night, the affidavit said. She said she then "went upstairs and passed out in her bed."

Boone said she woke up around 11 a.m. when her phone rang multiple times, the affidavit said.

When Boone went downstairs and didn't see her boyfriend anywhere, she "realized that he was possibly still inside the suitcase," the affidavit said. Boone unzipped the suitcase and found Torres unresponsive and not breathing.

When deputies responded to her 911 call, Torres was found lying by the front door near a blue suitcase, the affidavit said. He had a small laceration on his lip and apparent bruising around his eye. Torres was declared dead around 1 p.m.

As authorities investigated, they recovered video from Boone's phone in which Torres was repeatedly yelling out Boone's name, the affidavit said.

Torres was seen on the video pushing on the suitcase, trying to escape, according to the affidavit.

In the video, according to the affidavit, Boone said to Torres, "For everything you've done to me," then laughed and said, "F--- you. Stupid."

Torres repeatedly called out his girlfriend's name, and told her, 'I can't f------ breathe, seriously," the video showed, according to the affidavit. When Torres repeatedly told Boone he couldn't breathe, Boone replied, "That's what I feel like when you cheat on me ... You should probably shut the f--- up."

Arrested: Sarah Boone, 42, for Second Degree Murder in the death of 42-year-old Jorge Torres Jr., who died after Boone zipped him into a suitcase, and didn’t return for hours. pic.twitter.com/JCHWG7WNkp

— Orange County Sheriff's Office (@OrangeCoSheriff) February 26, 2020

Bonne was booked on Wednesday for second-degree murder. She does not yet have an attorney or a court date.

Copyright © 2020, ABC Audio. All rights reserved.