Carbon monoxide forces evacuation of NYC building; 34 treated

FDNY(NEW YORK) -- At least 34 people in New York City are being evaluated after a building in the Tribeca neighborhood was found to have elevated levels of carbon monoxide, according to officials.

On Tuesday morning, firefighters responded to 60 Murray St., where a defective oil burner caused a 2-alarm fire in the basement of the 12-story building, according to the New York City Fire Department.

Residents evacuated the building, which was found to have high readings of the deadly gas throughout, the FDNY said on Twitter.

Only one person is believed to have been seriously injured and was taken to the hospital, ABC New York affiliate WABC-TV reported. The remainder of the victims were treated on site as a precaution.

Police do not believe the fire to be suspicious or nefarious, the NYPD said. Firefighters are investigating adjacent buildings as well, the FDNY said.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Judge orders poacher who helped kill hundreds of deer to watch ‘Bambi’ repeatedly while in jail

giannimarchetti/iStock(ST. LOUIS, Mo.) -- A Missouri judge has found a creative way to possibly conjure remorse from a poacher he sentenced to jail.A man who was convicted of participating in a group that illegally killed hundreds of deer has been orde...