(NEW YORK) -- Authorities are now saying an explosion in New York's Central Park on Sunday that left a Virginia tourist seriously injured was most likely an experiment gone wrong.
According to Lt. Mike Torre of the New York Bomb Squad on Monday, the blast was not caused by an explosive device but a mix of chemicals in a plastic bag. He also said the bag was "absolutely not" placed in the park with the intention of someone to step on it or touch it.
Instead, Torre thinks it was the work of a hobbyist.
"I'd refer to them as an explosive hobbyist or an experimenter," he said Monday. "There are people who are fascinated by this kind of things. The fascination grows around the Fourth of July, for obvious reasons."
And while many of hobbyists experiment in their backyards, for those in New York, their backyard is Central Park.
"It's sort of an ideal location conducive to conducting that kind of experiment or test," Torre said.
The 18-year-old victim remains seriously injured while authorities continue to investigate. Roberta Elizabeth Golden told ABC News affiliate WJLA-TV that her grandson Connor Golden was the victim and has already had his foot amputated. She also said he was going to have a second surgery to remove the rest of his leg below his knee.
Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.