Chance the Rapper says he’ll donate $1 million to Chicago public schools

iStock/Thinkstock(CHICAGO) -- Chance the Rapper announced Monday that he plans to donate $1 million to Chicago public schools. This comes after he met with Illinois Gov. Bruce Rauner about school funding last Friday.

The Chicago-born rapper will donate the funds to the Chicago Public School Foundation, he said Monday during a press conference at Oliver S. Westcott Elementary School on the city's South Side.

"Today I'm proud to announce that I am donating $1 million to CPS to support arts and enriching programming," the rapper said to applause. "I'm excited to share that this donation was made possible by my fans."

Chance's donation came after he met Friday with Gov. Rauner about funding relief for Chicago public schools, the third-largest school district in the U.S. The governor vetoed $215 million in pension relief last year, saying that the funding should've been coupled with larger pension reforms.

After their meeting, Gov. Rauner tweeted about it.

".@chancetherapper and I talked about the imp. of getting more money for all school children in Illinois, especially low-income children," he wrote Friday.

Still, Chance the Rapper described that 40-minute meeting as "disappointing" on Monday, saying the governor only had "vague" answers.

Immediately after the sit-down, the Grammy Award winner tweeted: "Chicago Public Schools and I did not lose today. Please don't let that become the narrative. Monday morning I'll have a plan."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Getty_052217_Airplane.jpg

Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI ‘we all have’ terroristic thoughts

Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI 'we all have' terroristic thoughtsiStock/Thinkstock(HONOLULU) -- The Turkish national who forced the emergency landing of American Airlines flight 31 in Honolulu on Friday allegedly told FBI agents "we all have" terroristic ideas, and pantomimed shooting an agent during his interview, according to a criminal complaint filed in Hawaii on Monday.

En route from Los Angeles to Honolulu, 25-year-old Anil Uskanli alarmed passengers and crewmembers while acting "strange," forcing the pilot lock down the flight deck and prompting the U.S. Pacific Command to send two F-22 fighter jets to escort the aircraft into Hawaii.

F22's taking off from Honolulu to escort American Airlines flight 31 #Hawaii pic.twitter.com/8cauepQ7Yt

— Anthony Quintano 🌴 (@AnthonyQuintano) May 19, 2017

"We all have those ideas," he said when asked if he ever had terroristic thoughts.

According to the complaint, Uskanli boarded the plane without any luggage, carrying only a phone, laptop, charger, and miscellaneous items in his pockets.

Not long after he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing at LAX after breaching a security door while under the influence, crew escorted him down the jet bridge in a wheelchair.

Once aboard the Airbus 321, he plopped into a seat in first class. At a flight attendant's repeated urging, Uskanli eventually moved to 35B, his assigned seat.

After the flight took off, Uskanli began repeatedly moving his laptop from the seatback pocket to the space under the seat, "uttering things and talking to himself," one passenger told FBI agents.

He then got up to use the lavatory, but failed to lock the door, the complaint adds. When another passenger attempted to enter the lavatory, Uskanli allegedly began "yelling and pounding on the walls."

After flight attendants escorted him back to his seat, they found what appeared to be cigarette pieces around the toilet.

A short time later, Uskanli "wrapped a blanket around his head, picked up his laptop," and shuffled towards the front of the aircraft.

A flight attendant used a beverage cart to block the aisle, but Uskanli shoved back, then set his laptop on the cart, triggering immediate alarm among the crew. The flight attendant was concerned following reports that terrorists are attempting to target aircraft with explosives concealed inside electronics, the complaint explains.

While an off-duty law enforcement officer steered Uskanli back to his seat, a flight attendant barricaded the laptop in the rear of the aircraft -- standard procedure for handling a possible explosive device. To further mitigate the impact of a potential in-flight bomb, the pilot descended to 5,000 feet, according to the complaint.

Uskanli was restrained with duct tape, witnesses say.

Upon landing, Uskanli was escorted off the flight by law enforcement, and bomb technicians and canine units seized the laptop and secured the plane. No explosives were found inside the laptop, authorities say.

Uskanli's urinalysis came back positive for benzodiazepine. Other field sobriety tests indicated he may have been high on stimulants or cannabis, according to the complaint.

During a post-incident interview with FBI agents, Uskanli "made a gun shape with his fingers and pretended to shoot,"simulated a ‘chopping motion’" at an agent's neck, and threatened to kill a female agent, according to the complaint.

Asked if he planned to hurt anyone, he told agents, "it depends on the day."

He was charged with interfering with a flight crew, and was scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.