Detroit School Teachers Plan to Continue ‘Sick Out’ for Second Day

iStock/Thinkstock(DETROIT) -- Detroit Public School teachers are fighting for their paychecks by continuing a "sick out" that started Monday and closed over 90 of the 105 public schools in the city.

"The teachers feel, and I feel, that no one is listening to us when we try to explain what's going on here. I feel like we're being held hostage by our legislatures," Detroit Federation of Teachers interim president Ivy Bailey told ABC News Monday. "The teachers are not only fighting for themselves, but more importantly, they're fighting for their students."

"We have teachers who are on 26 pay periods," Bailey explained. "What happens is they take their salary and they pro-rate it throughout the year [with] additional pay periods in the summer, so they can get paid over the summer -- because teachers do not get paid in the summer."

She explained that the state gave the district $48.7 million to get through the rest of the school year but that did not include money to cover summer payments.

"When we figured out what was going on and looked at the payments of those teachers, technically Thursday of last week is the last day that they're actually being paid," Bailey said.

"In theory, they're working without pay," she said. "There's no guarantee -- based on what the district has told us -- that they will receive payment after June 30, which is not fair. No one should work for free. And so rightfully so, we're all upset about that."

Bailey said when they asked if the money they received would include money for all employees who are on a 26 pay period, they were told "yes."

She said this is not happening anywhere else in Michigan -- just Detroit, where the economy has been struggling for years.

Detroit schools are currently under a state of financial emergency and are run by an emergency manager instead of a school board and superintendent.

"I'm hoping today will accomplish an awareness across the city of Detroit -- what's happening to our schools systems is an atrocity," Bailey said. "If you are an emergency manager and you're supposed to be the person who came here to straighten out our finances, and now they're worse than they ever were ... I believe we have every right to be upset. And there is no accountability for what has gone on with these emergency mangers."

Detroit Public Schools did not immediately provide a comment on Monday, but Transition Manager Judge Steven Rhodes said in a statement Sunday evening that the planned "sick out" would be "counterproductive and detrimental."

"It is unfortunate that the DFT [Detroit Federation of Teachers] has chosen to make a statement in this way," Rhodes said.

"I am on record as saying that I cannot in good conscience ask anyone to work without pay. Wages that are owed to teachers should be paid. I understand the frustration and anger that our teachers feel," Rhodes said. "I am, however, confident that the legislature will support the request that will guarantee that teachers will receive the pay that is owed to them. The DFT's choice for a drastic call to action was not necessary."

"I am confident that the Michigan Legislature understands the urgency of this situation and will act in a timely manner to ensure that operations of the school district continue uninterrupted," he said, adding that he's working with policy makers in Lansing "to move this legislation forward."

"A district-wide sick out will be counterproductive and detrimental to the efforts of everyone working to help the District," he said. Rhodes said he hopes to continue his "strong relationship" with the Detroit Federation of Teachers "so that jointly we can achieve our mutual goal of creating a New DPS under local control that we can be proud of.”

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombingSeanPavonePhoto/iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) -- Officials broke ground in Boston Wednesday for a new park dedicated to Martin Richard, the youngest victim of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Martin was 8 years old when he killed on April 15, 2013, as he watched the marathon from near the finish line with his family. His mother was gravely injured, and his sister, who was 7 at the time,
lost a leg.

Photos from Wednesday's ceremonial groundbreaking show children in hard hats using shovels to dig dirt. Martin's Park, located next to the Boston Children's Museum at the Smith Family Waterfront,
is expected to open in the fall of 2018, according to a press release from the office of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker.

"This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids," Baker wrote on Twitter.

#MartinRichard lost his life to terror. This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids. pic.twitter.com/lYUTMyZNxV

— Charlie Baker (@MassGovernor) August 16, 2017

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh wrote on Twitter that the park will remind its visitors of "hope, compassion & love."

"Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park," Walsh wrote.

This park reminds us of hope, compassion & love a young boy taught us all. Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park. pic.twitter.com/w6Plokx6D7

— Mayor Marty Walsh (@marty_walsh) August 16, 2017

Both Baker and Walsh spoke at the groundbreaking ceremony, as well as Martin's family.

Martin's sister, Jane Richard, said she knows that her brother is happy that the community is coming together.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.