Former First Lady Barbara Bush Is Being Treated for Bronchitis

Bob Levey/Getty Images for U.S. Fund for UNICEF(HOUSTON) -- Former first lady Barbara Bush is being treated for bronchitis, family spokesman Jim McGrath told ABC News Thursday.

Barbara Bush, 91, entered Houston Methodist Hospital Wednesday morning as a precaution after suffering fatigue and coughing. She had not been feeling well for a couple of weeks but is resting comfortably, McGrath said Wednesday.

He confirmed to ABC News Thursday that Barbara Bush was diagnosed with bronchitis.

It’s unclear when the former first lady will be released from the hospital. Physicians want to see how she responds to treatment before sending her home, McGrath said.

Barbara Bush’s husband, former President George H.W. Bush, has been hospitalized at the same medical center since Saturday. He was transferred to the intensive care unit Wednesday for "an acute respiratory problem stemming from pneumonia," McGrath said in a statement.

The 92-year-old former president underwent a procedure “to protect and clear his airway that required sedation,” the statement said. As of Wednesday, George H.W. Bush was stable and resting comfortably at the hospital, where McGrath said he will remain for observation.

Doctors initially believed the 41st president would be allowed to return home later this week after several days of treatment, but his stay has been extended. There is no timetable for his release, according to the family spokesman.

During his final presidential news conference Wednesday afternoon, President Obama said he had been in touch with the family about the Bushes' conditions.

"They have not only dedicated their lives to this country. They have been a constant source of friendship and support and good counsel for Michelle and me over the years," Obama told reporters. "They are as fine a couple as we know, and so we want to send our prayers and our love to them. Really good people."

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Getty_022417_Siren.jpg

Man connected to Connecticut Amber Alert was deported in 2013, authorities say

iStock/Thinkstock(BRIDGEPORT, Conn.) -- The 39-year-old man suspected of murder and connected to an Amber Alert involving his 6-year-old daughter had been deported from the U.S. in 2013, according to federal authorities.Early Friday morning, an Amber A...