Grandfather of murdered Indiana teen pleads for public’s help to find killer

Indiana State Police(DELPHI, Ind.) -- More than three weeks after the murder of two Indiana teens, the grandfather of one of the girls pleaded for the public's help to find his granddaughter's killer Thursday.

Mike Patty stood with his wife, Becky, who appeared emotional, by his side as he addressed reporters in Delphi, Indiana, for the first time since the girls' deaths Thursday morning, saying the last thing he said to his granddaughter Liberty German before she died was "I love you."

"In our house [the last conversation] is always, 'I love you,'" he said. "Before they go to bed, when they get up, drop them off for school ... it's always, 'I love you.'"

The trauma in Delphi began on Feb. 13 when German, 14, and her friend Abigail Williams, 13, went for a hike and didn't return. Their families reported them missing, and the next day, the girls' bodies were found in nearby woods.

Police have released a photograph of a man who they say is the prime suspect in the investigation, but no arrests have been made.

Patty Thursday morning pleaded with the public to study that photo, as well as a brief audio clip recovered from one of the teen's phones and released by police that says three words: "down the hill."

"He's someone's neighbor, coworker, family member, friend, husband or acquaintance," Patty said. "Somebody knows something."

"Look for someone who has recently changed their appearance ... if you think it could be but then say, 'No, he's not like that,' go with your initial instinct. Let law enforcement ... make that determination. How ever small it may seem ... please, we need your help," he added.

Patty also read a statement on behalf of the family of the second slain teenager, Abigail Williams. The Williams family has not spoken publicly.

Police said Thursday that 11,000 tips have poured in and a reward has grown to more than $224,000. The community is rallying in support of the girls with fundraisers, and the FBI has joined local and state law enforcement as investigators race to solve the case.

Patty said "the pain will always be there," but added that the support from the community is "overwhelming."

Sgt. John Perrine of the Indiana State Police Thursday morning said he's confident the investigation will lead them to the person responsible.

Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby agreed, saying, "We will get that justice."

People can provide information by calling the tip line at (844) 459-5786. Information can be reported anonymously. Tips can also be emailed to

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also


Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI ‘we all have’ terroristic thoughts

Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI 'we all have' terroristic thoughtsiStock/Thinkstock(HONOLULU) -- The Turkish national who forced the emergency landing of American Airlines flight 31 in Honolulu on Friday allegedly told FBI agents "we all have" terroristic ideas, and pantomimed shooting an agent during his interview, according to a criminal complaint filed in Hawaii on Monday.

En route from Los Angeles to Honolulu, 25-year-old Anil Uskanli alarmed passengers and crewmembers while acting "strange," forcing the pilot lock down the flight deck and prompting the U.S. Pacific Command to send two F-22 fighter jets to escort the aircraft into Hawaii.

F22's taking off from Honolulu to escort American Airlines flight 31 #Hawaii

— Anthony Quintano 🌴 (@AnthonyQuintano) May 19, 2017

"We all have those ideas," he said when asked if he ever had terroristic thoughts.

According to the complaint, Uskanli boarded the plane without any luggage, carrying only a phone, laptop, charger, and miscellaneous items in his pockets.

Not long after he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing at LAX after breaching a security door while under the influence, crew escorted him down the jet bridge in a wheelchair.

Once aboard the Airbus 321, he plopped into a seat in first class. At a flight attendant's repeated urging, Uskanli eventually moved to 35B, his assigned seat.

After the flight took off, Uskanli began repeatedly moving his laptop from the seatback pocket to the space under the seat, "uttering things and talking to himself," one passenger told FBI agents.

He then got up to use the lavatory, but failed to lock the door, the complaint adds. When another passenger attempted to enter the lavatory, Uskanli allegedly began "yelling and pounding on the walls."

After flight attendants escorted him back to his seat, they found what appeared to be cigarette pieces around the toilet.

A short time later, Uskanli "wrapped a blanket around his head, picked up his laptop," and shuffled towards the front of the aircraft.

A flight attendant used a beverage cart to block the aisle, but Uskanli shoved back, then set his laptop on the cart, triggering immediate alarm among the crew. The flight attendant was concerned following reports that terrorists are attempting to target aircraft with explosives concealed inside electronics, the complaint explains.

While an off-duty law enforcement officer steered Uskanli back to his seat, a flight attendant barricaded the laptop in the rear of the aircraft -- standard procedure for handling a possible explosive device. To further mitigate the impact of a potential in-flight bomb, the pilot descended to 5,000 feet, according to the complaint.

Uskanli was restrained with duct tape, witnesses say.

Upon landing, Uskanli was escorted off the flight by law enforcement, and bomb technicians and canine units seized the laptop and secured the plane. No explosives were found inside the laptop, authorities say.

Uskanli's urinalysis came back positive for benzodiazepine. Other field sobriety tests indicated he may have been high on stimulants or cannabis, according to the complaint.

During a post-incident interview with FBI agents, Uskanli "made a gun shape with his fingers and pretended to shoot,"simulated a ‘chopping motion’" at an agent's neck, and threatened to kill a female agent, according to the complaint.

Asked if he planned to hurt anyone, he told agents, "it depends on the day."

He was charged with interfering with a flight crew, and was scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.