Judge blocks release of Orlando nightclub gunman’s widow

Credit: Vicki Behringer(ORLANDO) -- A federal judge in Florida has blocked an order by a magistrate judge in California to release Noor Salman, the widow of Orlando gunman Omar Mateen, from custody.

On Wednesday, California federal magistrate Donna Ryu ordered that Salman remain under house arrest ahead of her trial on felony charges related to the 2016 massacre. Salman was not immediately released, and prosecutors were given 48 hours to appeal Ryu's ruling.

United States District Judge Paul G. Byron in Orlando signed the motion to stay Ryu's ruling today. Salman's defense team has been given until March 8 to respond to the government's stay on the judge's order setting the conditions of her pretrial release, which stated that she live at her uncle's home and wear a GPS ankle monitoring bracelet.

In January, Salman was arrested and charged with felony aiding and abetting Mateen's "provision of support" to ISIS and obstructing the investigation into the attack, which left 49 dead and dozens injured.

During Wednesday's hearing from a federal courthouse in Oakland, Ryu cast doubt on the strength of the government's case against Salman, which relies heavily on admissions Salman made toward the end of a 16-hour detention.

“I find that at this time the weight of the evidence is debatable,” Ryu said. “All of the information provided by the government is hotly debated.”

Salman's defense team rebutted every argument of the government's allegations against her.

Ryu also said that prosecutors did not provide enough evidence in court to keep Salman behind bars and did not establish clear evidence that Salman was violent or dangerous.

Other conditions set by Ryu for Salman's release included that her mother and uncle, who offered their houses and property to secure her $500,000 bond, also serve as custodians. Under the order, Salman's uncle is responsible for monitoring and supervising Salman at all times, and Salman will only be permitted to leave the house to meet with lawyers or tend to her son's medical and mental health treatments.

Under the release, Salman cannot have her passport or have any travel visas issued. She also will not be permitted to own or carry a firearm or have one in the house.

Last summer, Mateen killed 49 people and inured dozens more when he opened fire in a popular Orlando nightclub.

Federal prosecutors have said that Salman was in the car with Mateen as he cased three potential Orlando locations that the couple spend about $25,000 using credit cards in the days before the June 12 shooting and made Salman the death beneficiary of Mateen's bank account.

Prosecutors also said Salman created a cover story for Mateen by telling family that he was going out for dinner with a friend. They had asked that Salman be detained and not released on bond, citing the terrorism charge she is facing.

“The alleged admissions may be vulnerable to constitutional attack,” Ryu said. The judge added that the strength of the government’s evidence beyond the admissions “is also debatable at this time.”

Ryu had ordered that a psychiatric evaluation be performed on Salman before deciding whether to grant bail. The judge said that the exam supports the defense's claim that Salman "has some cognitive deficits that impair her ability to engage in abstract thinking."

 Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also


Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI ‘we all have’ terroristic thoughts

Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI 'we all have' terroristic thoughtsiStock/Thinkstock(HONOLULU) -- The Turkish national who forced the emergency landing of American Airlines flight 31 in Honolulu on Friday allegedly told FBI agents "we all have" terroristic ideas, and pantomimed shooting an agent during his interview, according to a criminal complaint filed in Hawaii on Monday.

En route from Los Angeles to Honolulu, 25-year-old Anil Uskanli alarmed passengers and crewmembers while acting "strange," forcing the pilot lock down the flight deck and prompting the U.S. Pacific Command to send two F-22 fighter jets to escort the aircraft into Hawaii.

F22's taking off from Honolulu to escort American Airlines flight 31 #Hawaii pic.twitter.com/8cauepQ7Yt

— Anthony Quintano 🌴 (@AnthonyQuintano) May 19, 2017

"We all have those ideas," he said when asked if he ever had terroristic thoughts.

According to the complaint, Uskanli boarded the plane without any luggage, carrying only a phone, laptop, charger, and miscellaneous items in his pockets.

Not long after he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing at LAX after breaching a security door while under the influence, crew escorted him down the jet bridge in a wheelchair.

Once aboard the Airbus 321, he plopped into a seat in first class. At a flight attendant's repeated urging, Uskanli eventually moved to 35B, his assigned seat.

After the flight took off, Uskanli began repeatedly moving his laptop from the seatback pocket to the space under the seat, "uttering things and talking to himself," one passenger told FBI agents.

He then got up to use the lavatory, but failed to lock the door, the complaint adds. When another passenger attempted to enter the lavatory, Uskanli allegedly began "yelling and pounding on the walls."

After flight attendants escorted him back to his seat, they found what appeared to be cigarette pieces around the toilet.

A short time later, Uskanli "wrapped a blanket around his head, picked up his laptop," and shuffled towards the front of the aircraft.

A flight attendant used a beverage cart to block the aisle, but Uskanli shoved back, then set his laptop on the cart, triggering immediate alarm among the crew. The flight attendant was concerned following reports that terrorists are attempting to target aircraft with explosives concealed inside electronics, the complaint explains.

While an off-duty law enforcement officer steered Uskanli back to his seat, a flight attendant barricaded the laptop in the rear of the aircraft -- standard procedure for handling a possible explosive device. To further mitigate the impact of a potential in-flight bomb, the pilot descended to 5,000 feet, according to the complaint.

Uskanli was restrained with duct tape, witnesses say.

Upon landing, Uskanli was escorted off the flight by law enforcement, and bomb technicians and canine units seized the laptop and secured the plane. No explosives were found inside the laptop, authorities say.

Uskanli's urinalysis came back positive for benzodiazepine. Other field sobriety tests indicated he may have been high on stimulants or cannabis, according to the complaint.

During a post-incident interview with FBI agents, Uskanli "made a gun shape with his fingers and pretended to shoot,"simulated a ‘chopping motion’" at an agent's neck, and threatened to kill a female agent, according to the complaint.

Asked if he planned to hurt anyone, he told agents, "it depends on the day."

He was charged with interfering with a flight crew, and was scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.