Knife Found at OJ Simpson’s Old Property Not Connected to Murders

POOL/AFP/Getty Images)(LOS ANGELES) -- A knife found years ago at O.J. Simpson's former property has no connection to the infamous Nicole Brown Simpson and Ron Goldman double-murder case, the Los Angeles Police Department said Friday.

But the investigation remains open, police said.

Last month, the LAPD said it was conducting tests on a knife that was purportedly found at Simpson's old property. Police said in March that they recently recovered the knife from a retired LAPD officer.

The officer, identified by his lawyer as George Maycott, retired in 1998 and was working security on a movie set about five years later when he was approached by a construction worker down the street from Simpson's demolished estate, attorney Trent Copeland said last month.

The worker handed him a knife with no evidence of blood and Maycott immediately called the LAPD, Copeland said. According to Copeland, Maycott was put on hold and was later told that the Simpson case was over.

Maycott then took the knife home and put it in his toolbox, where it sat for about 15 years, Copeland said. The knife was taken into custody by police on Feb. 10.

The LAPD said last month that it was looking into the retired officer's story. The LAPD said the knife was submitted to the lab to be studied for forensics including DNA and hair samples.

Copeland told ABC News Friday that Maycott feels vindicated and is "relieved that the process is now over."

"Because what he said from the start turned out to be true," Copeland said. "Although this was a knife that was allegedly found on the property, it was clearly not the knife connected to the murders.”

Copeland said Maycott's "good name" has been dragged through the mud but that the retired officer holds no grudges against the LAPD.

"This is a retired police officer, a 70 year old man, who didn’t ask for this attention and did what he thought was the right thing back in 2003. And that was to call the LAPD and to let them know that he had a knife that was allegedly recovered on the property," Copeland said. "And the fact that they chose not to act on that... can't be directed negatively towards him."

On June 12, 1994, Brown Simpson and Goldman were found stabbed to death at her Los Angeles home. To date, the murder weapon has never been found.

Simpson was charged with the murders. Then on Oct. 3, 1995, the former football star was acquitted of all criminal charges. He was found liable for their deaths in a civil case in 1997.

Simpson was arrested in 2007 during a botched robbery in Las Vegas when he led a group of men into a hotel and casino to steal his own sports memorabilia at gunpoint. He was charged with a number of felony counts, including kidnapping and armed robbery. He was found guilty and sentenced to 33 years in prison. He is serving his time at Lovelock Correctional Facility in Nevada.

Simpson’s lawyer, Malcolm LaVergne, did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombingSeanPavonePhoto/iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) -- Officials broke ground in Boston Wednesday for a new park dedicated to Martin Richard, the youngest victim of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Martin was 8 years old when he killed on April 15, 2013, as he watched the marathon from near the finish line with his family. His mother was gravely injured, and his sister, who was 7 at the time,
lost a leg.

Photos from Wednesday's ceremonial groundbreaking show children in hard hats using shovels to dig dirt. Martin's Park, located next to the Boston Children's Museum at the Smith Family Waterfront,
is expected to open in the fall of 2018, according to a press release from the office of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker.

"This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids," Baker wrote on Twitter.

#MartinRichard lost his life to terror. This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids. pic.twitter.com/lYUTMyZNxV

— Charlie Baker (@MassGovernor) August 16, 2017

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh wrote on Twitter that the park will remind its visitors of "hope, compassion & love."

"Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park," Walsh wrote.

This park reminds us of hope, compassion & love a young boy taught us all. Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park. pic.twitter.com/w6Plokx6D7

— Mayor Marty Walsh (@marty_walsh) August 16, 2017

Both Baker and Walsh spoke at the groundbreaking ceremony, as well as Martin's family.

Martin's sister, Jane Richard, said she knows that her brother is happy that the community is coming together.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.