Maryland Shooting Suspect to Appear in Court

Prince George’s County Police Department(BETHESDA, Md.) — The man police say killed his wife before going on a deadly shooting spree in the Maryland suburbs late last week will appear in court Monday afternoon to face first-degree murder and other charges.

According to police, the shooting spree began Thursday when Eulalio Tordil, 62, followed his estranged wife, Gladys Tordil, when she went to pick up her daughter at High Point High School in Beltsville in Prince George's County. Police said Tordil fatally shot her and shot and injured a Good Samaritan who rushed to help her.

Tordil, an officer with the Federal Protective Service, which helps secure federal buildings, had been placed on administrative leave after a court order demanded that he stay away from his wife, who had accused him of beating her. Due to that court order, he was not supposed to possess any firearms.

On Friday, as the manhunt for Tordil continued, Tordil allegedly tried to carjack a woman at Westfield Montgomery Mall in Bethesda, and two men rushed to help her. Tordil allegedly shot all three of them, one fatally, police said.

"These two men acted selflessly and heroically,” said Montgomery County Police Assistant Chief Russ Hamill. "Not only coming to her aid, but likely saving her life."

Shortly after the mall shooting, another shooting outside of a grocery store left a woman dead. Police believe it was another allegedly botched carjacking attempt by Tordil.

Tordil is due for an initial appearance in a Montgomery County, Maryland, courtroom at 1 p.m. ET. He has not entered a plea to the charges against him.


ABC Breaking News | Latest News Videos

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombing

Officials break ground on new park honoring the youngest victim of the Boston Marathon bombingSeanPavonePhoto/iStock/Thinkstock(BOSTON) -- Officials broke ground in Boston Wednesday for a new park dedicated to Martin Richard, the youngest victim of the 2013 Boston Marathon bombing.

Martin was 8 years old when he killed on April 15, 2013, as he watched the marathon from near the finish line with his family. His mother was gravely injured, and his sister, who was 7 at the time,
lost a leg.

Photos from Wednesday's ceremonial groundbreaking show children in hard hats using shovels to dig dirt. Martin's Park, located next to the Boston Children's Museum at the Smith Family Waterfront,
is expected to open in the fall of 2018, according to a press release from the office of Massachusetts Gov. Charlie Baker.

"This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids," Baker wrote on Twitter.

#MartinRichard lost his life to terror. This park will bring light & hope to that darkness, honoring his memory & allowing kids to be kids. pic.twitter.com/lYUTMyZNxV

— Charlie Baker (@MassGovernor) August 16, 2017

Boston Mayor Marty Walsh wrote on Twitter that the park will remind its visitors of "hope, compassion & love."

"Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park," Walsh wrote.

This park reminds us of hope, compassion & love a young boy taught us all. Martin's spirit will always live on in Boston & in Martin's Park. pic.twitter.com/w6Plokx6D7

— Mayor Marty Walsh (@marty_walsh) August 16, 2017

Both Baker and Walsh spoke at the groundbreaking ceremony, as well as Martin's family.

Martin's sister, Jane Richard, said she knows that her brother is happy that the community is coming together.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.