Navy and Coast Guard Suspend Search for Missing Sailor

iStock/Thinkstock(BUXTON, N.C.) -- The Navy and Coast Guard have suspended their search for a sailor who went missing during training exercises off Cape Hatteras, officials said Tuesday.

The sailor was reported missing April 9 while the USS Carter Hall about 60 miles off the coast.

Three days later, after searching more than 22,000 square nautical miles, the military called off the search.

"It is with a deep sense of sadness that we suspend the search for our fellow shipmate," said Rear Adm. Bruce Lindsey, who led the search efforts. "Our sincere condolences are with the Sailor's family, who have requested privacy following their tragic loss."

An investigation was being conducted.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Sgt. La David Johnson, soldier killed in Niger, laid to rest in Florida

U.S. Army(HOLLYWOOD, Fla.) -- U.S. Army Sgt. La David Johnson, who was among four American service members killed in Niger earlier this month, was laid to rest in his home state of Florida on Saturday.A flag-covered coffin holding Johnson's remains was...