New Orleans police investigate killings of 2 transgender women within 48 hours

iStock/Thinkstock(NEW ORLEANS) --  The LGBT community in New Orleans is reeling from the killings of two transgender women that occurred within 48 hours and a few miles of one another.

The first happened on Feb. 25 at around 8:26 p.m. local time when responding officers found Chyna Gibson lying unresponsive in a parking lot between two vehicles and suffering from apparent multiple gunshot wounds on Downman Road in New Orleans, Louisiana, police said. Gibson was pronounced dead at the scene, according to the New Orleans Police Department.

Gibson, a transgender woman and drag performer, lived in California and was visiting friends in her native New Orleans when she was gunned down, according to ABC affiliate WGNO.

The New Orleans Police Department released images of two people who they believe may have information about Gibson’s death. The individuals are not wanted for the killing but are only wanted for questioning, police said.

 Two days later and a few miles away on Columbus Street, responding officers found an “unknown black male” suffering from stab wounds shortly before 9 a.m. local time on Feb. 27. The victim was transported to a local hospital where he later died from his injuries, according to a statement from the New Orleans Police Department.

According to WGNO, the victim was another transgender woman, Ciara McElveen.

Police said video surveillance from the area suggests the victim arrived in a two-door black Chevrolet Camaro with chrome rims.

Witnesses later told detectives they saw a man in a black car leave the vehicle and remove something from the trunk. The man then walked around to the passenger side where he apparently stabbed the victim, police said. The victim was removed from the car and fell to the ground. Witnesses told detectives they then saw the suspect get back in the car and drive off.

 The New Orleans Police Department released images of a vehicle of interest in connection with the stabbing death. Authorities are seeking to speak with the vehicle’s owner, as they believe this individual may have information pertinent to the investigation.

Police do not believe the two killings are connected, and detectives don’t suspect the victims were targeted because of their gender, according to WGNO.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also


Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI ‘we all have’ terroristic thoughts

Passenger who forced Honolulu emergency landing tells FBI 'we all have' terroristic thoughtsiStock/Thinkstock(HONOLULU) -- The Turkish national who forced the emergency landing of American Airlines flight 31 in Honolulu on Friday allegedly told FBI agents "we all have" terroristic ideas, and pantomimed shooting an agent during his interview, according to a criminal complaint filed in Hawaii on Monday.

En route from Los Angeles to Honolulu, 25-year-old Anil Uskanli alarmed passengers and crewmembers while acting "strange," forcing the pilot lock down the flight deck and prompting the U.S. Pacific Command to send two F-22 fighter jets to escort the aircraft into Hawaii.

F22's taking off from Honolulu to escort American Airlines flight 31 #Hawaii

— Anthony Quintano 🌴 (@AnthonyQuintano) May 19, 2017

"We all have those ideas," he said when asked if he ever had terroristic thoughts.

According to the complaint, Uskanli boarded the plane without any luggage, carrying only a phone, laptop, charger, and miscellaneous items in his pockets.

Not long after he was arrested for misdemeanor trespassing at LAX after breaching a security door while under the influence, crew escorted him down the jet bridge in a wheelchair.

Once aboard the Airbus 321, he plopped into a seat in first class. At a flight attendant's repeated urging, Uskanli eventually moved to 35B, his assigned seat.

After the flight took off, Uskanli began repeatedly moving his laptop from the seatback pocket to the space under the seat, "uttering things and talking to himself," one passenger told FBI agents.

He then got up to use the lavatory, but failed to lock the door, the complaint adds. When another passenger attempted to enter the lavatory, Uskanli allegedly began "yelling and pounding on the walls."

After flight attendants escorted him back to his seat, they found what appeared to be cigarette pieces around the toilet.

A short time later, Uskanli "wrapped a blanket around his head, picked up his laptop," and shuffled towards the front of the aircraft.

A flight attendant used a beverage cart to block the aisle, but Uskanli shoved back, then set his laptop on the cart, triggering immediate alarm among the crew. The flight attendant was concerned following reports that terrorists are attempting to target aircraft with explosives concealed inside electronics, the complaint explains.

While an off-duty law enforcement officer steered Uskanli back to his seat, a flight attendant barricaded the laptop in the rear of the aircraft -- standard procedure for handling a possible explosive device. To further mitigate the impact of a potential in-flight bomb, the pilot descended to 5,000 feet, according to the complaint.

Uskanli was restrained with duct tape, witnesses say.

Upon landing, Uskanli was escorted off the flight by law enforcement, and bomb technicians and canine units seized the laptop and secured the plane. No explosives were found inside the laptop, authorities say.

Uskanli's urinalysis came back positive for benzodiazepine. Other field sobriety tests indicated he may have been high on stimulants or cannabis, according to the complaint.

During a post-incident interview with FBI agents, Uskanli "made a gun shape with his fingers and pretended to shoot,"simulated a ‘chopping motion’" at an agent's neck, and threatened to kill a female agent, according to the complaint.

Asked if he planned to hurt anyone, he told agents, "it depends on the day."

He was charged with interfering with a flight crew, and was scheduled to appear in court Monday.

Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.