NY Woman Accused of Fiance’s Murder Admitted to Taking Out Plug in Kayak, Investigator Says

New York State Police(NEW YORK) -- A woman accused of murdering her fiance during a kayak trip on the Hudson River last year admitted to an investigator that she took out a plug on the kayak that eventually capsized, another investigator said in Monday's pre-trial hearing.

Angelika Graswald and her fiancé, 46-year-old Vince Viafore, were kayaking on the Hudson River on April 19, 2015, when his boat capsized and he disappeared, authorities said. She was arrested and charged with second-degree murder a few weeks later, and Viafore's body was recovered a few weeks after that.

Graswald is also accused of second-degree manslaughter. She has pleaded not guilty.

Viafore's family was in court Monday for the Huntley hearing, during which Aniello Moscato, senior investigator with the New York State Police, was on the stand. A Huntley hearing is a court proceeding about statements that prosecutors claim an accused made.

Moscato, who had responded to the scene, said he didn't speak with Graswald that day, but did speak with her over the next 9 days, during which the two became friendly and he "felt for her."

On April 29, an investigative team arrived on Bannermann's Island -- where Graswald was found by rescuers 10 days earlier -- and Graswald said she would also be at the island that day to lay a memorial wreath for Viafore. Then the investigators retraced the steps of that day with Graswald.

While they were on the island, Moscato said he and two other investigators asked her if she would be more comfortable talking to one of them, instead of all three, and Graswald said, "yes," to speaking to investigator Don DeQuarto alone.

DeQuarto and Graswald talked for about 40 minutes and then Graswald walked to the bathroom by herself, Moscato told the court. DeQuarto spoke with Moscato, he said, and told him that Graswald said there was a plug on the kayak and that she had taken it out.

Moscato said as the investigators were taking her back to the state police barracks, they had engine trouble on the boat, and as Moscato held onto Graswald, she joked about jumping overboard. She seemed happy go lucky on the boat ride back to the barracks, Moscato said, which he said seemed strange to him after what she'd just told DeQuarto.

Also on the stand Monday was Officer Stephen Pedetti, who told Graswald's defense attorney Richard Portale that Graswald was calm and showed no emotion after she was rescued. Pedetti said Graswald seemed very matter of fact and didn't seem concerned, calling her "emotionless."

The judge has issued a gag order on the cases, preventing both the prosecution and the defense from commenting on the case outside of court. Viafore's family was in court Monday, but declined to comment to ABC News.

The hearing is expected to continue Tuesday.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Soldier killed in Niger remembered at Florida viewing

U.S. Army(HOLLYWOOD, Fla.) -- As gospel music filled South Florida's Christ the Rock Church during Sgt. La David Johnson's public viewing Friday night, loved ones and strangers cried, prayed and hugged each other. His family, wearing red shirts, sat in...