Operation scaled back in search for missing Wisconsin girl due to declining number of tips

iStock/Thinkstock(BARRON, Wis.) -- Authorities are scaling back operations in the search for missing Wisconsin 13-year-old Jayme Closs due to a declining number of tips, the sheriff said Thursday.

Jayme was abducted and her parents were shot dead at their rural Wisconsin home in October, prompting a massive investigation by federal, state and local authorities.

The majority of the 2,100 tips received by the Barron County Sheriff's Department have been closed, the department said Wednesday.

"As of today, we have transitioned our Emergency Operations Center from a 24/7 reactive operation to a more deliberate and methodical effort to progress the investigation," the sheriff's office said in a statement Thursday. "This is based on a declining number of tips. However, we will continue to fully investigate those remaining tips and new information we receive going forward."

"Just because the posture of our operations center has transitioned, does not mean the tips should stop," the sheriff's office stressed.

The case was ignited in the early hours of Oct. 15, when Jayme's parents, Denise and James Closs, were found shot dead at their home in Barron.

Police had responded to the house that morning after a strange 911 call. No one spoke on the call but a dispatcher could hear yelling, according to records.

Jayme was believed to be home at the time of the killings but had been abducted by the time police arrived, according to authorities.

She is considered missing and endangered, authorities said.

"Not a moment goes by when we aren't thinking of you and praying for you," Jayme's aunt, Jennifer Smith, said in a message to her niece at a news conference last week. "We all love you to the moon and back and we'll never stop looking for you."

Anyone with information is asked to contact the tip line at 855-744-3879 or jaymetips@co.barron.wi.us.

Copyright © 2018, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Sheriff asks public to help in ’emergency search’ for missing 3-year-old boy in North Carolina

Sheriff asks public to help in 'emergency search' for missing 3-year-old boy in North CarolinaChalabala/iStock(CRAVEN COUNTY, N.C.) -- Authorities are urging people to help them in "an emergency search" for a missing 3-year-old boy in North Carolina.

"We are doing everything we can to find this child," Craven County Sheriff Chip Hughes told reporters Tuesday night. "We are utilizing all resources at our disposal."

Casey Lynn Hathaway went missing from the backyard of his grandmother's home Tuesday afternoon, Hughes said, according to ABC New Bern affiliate WCTI.

NEW SEARCH FOR CASEY HATHAWAY AT 7:30 AM WEDNESDAY: The Craven Sheriff's Office is asking all interested volunteers to meet near intersection of Aurora & Toler roads in Ernul and check in with law enforcement for an assignment of an area to search. (From @DaishaJonesWCTI) pic.twitter.com/2SbQiFAtq0

— Merrilee Moore (@mmooreofficial) January 23, 2019

SEARCH FOR CASEY HATHAWAY:
Authorities remain on scene this morning off Toler Rd where 3-yr-old Casey Hathaway went missing. Craven Sheriff's Office says they are in an "emergency search." pic.twitter.com/zaIRjz89yH

— Merrilee Moore (@mmooreofficial) January 23, 2019

Casey was playing with two other children, and when those kids came inside without Casey, the grandmother and others spent 45 minutes searching before calling 911, authorities said, according to WCTI.

Authorities are asking people to check their property, cars and storage sheds for Casey, the sheriff's office said.

"We want these folks in the community -- the Cayton community, the Ernul community -- to certainly keep an ear out," the sheriff told reporters. "We've got well over 100 volunteers that have come here and we don't want to utilize all of these resources at one time if come tomorrow we're still having this search and rescue effort and we've run out of resources."

Casey has blonde hair and brown eyes. He stands at 28 inches tall and weighs 25 pounds, the sheriff's office said.

Anyone with information is urged to call the Craven County Sheriff's Office at 252-633-0498 or the North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation at 919-662-4500.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.