Search suspended for Southern California couple who went missing at Joshua Tree National Park, rescuers say

ABCNews.com(SAN BERNARDINO, Calif.) -- Rescue teams in Southern California have suspended the search for a young couple who went missing last week at Joshua Tree National Park, according to one of the agencies leading the search.

The couple, who were in their 20s, failed to check out of their nearby bed and breakfast Friday morning, Brian Rennie, a team member for the Joshua Tree National Park Search and Rescue, told ABC News.

Authorities believe the couple vanished on Thursday night, he added. Their car was found in a dirt parking lot for the Maze Loop trail, and their tracks leading from the car indicate they were heading toward the North Canyon, Rennie said.

The massive search -- which included members from the San Bernardino County Sheriff's Department, the Riverside County Sheriff's Department and California Highway Patrol, as well as volunteers -- was called off Monday night, Rennie said.

The couple has been identified as Joseph Orbeso and Rachel Nguyen, ABC Los Angeles station KABC reported. They are from the Southern California area, Bennie said.

There has been no sign of the couple since Thursday, when Orbeso's cellphone was detected from a location inside the park around 4 p.m., KABC reported.

Further details were not immediately available.


Copyright © 2017, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Former ‘Manson family’ member reveals she slept with Charles Manson at age 14

ABCNews.com(NEW YORK) -- Dianne Lake, the youngest member of the so-called "Manson family," is breaking her silence on her personal relationship with convicted mass murderer Charles Manson.Lake, now 64, revealed that she had sex with Manson when she wa...