Suspected Shooter of 2 Cops in New Hampshire Arrested and Charged, Authorities Say

Manchester Police Department (MANCHESTER, N.H.) -- A 32-year-old man has been arrested and charged in connection with the shooting of two cops in New Hampshire early Friday morning, according to authorities.

The suspect, identified by authorities as Ian MacPherson, allegedly shot two Manchester Police Department officers -- one in the face, and the other in the leg -- at separate locations in Manchester, New Hampshire, officials said at a news conference this afternoon.

Officer Ryan Hardy, 27, was shot around 2 a.m. after he stopped MacPherson, who fit the description of a person believed to have committed a robbery the night before, authorities said. Officer Matthew O'Connor, 28, was later shot around 2:23 a.m. at a separate location in the city after catching sight of MacPherson and asking him to stop, authorities added.

Hardy was listed in stable condition at a Boston hospital this afternoon, according to a news release from the New Hampshire Attorney General's Office. O’Connor was treated at a local hospital and later released, the news release said.

Though MacPherson fled after shooting Hardy and O'Connor, he was later found by police around 5 a.m. and arrested for resisting detention, officials said. They added that MacPherson was not shot nor wounded.

He has been charged with two counts of attempted capital murder, officials added.

A number of schools in the area were closed Friday morning, and some residents were told to shelter in place while police led a manhunt for the suspect.

New Hampshire Gov. Maggie Hassan said in a statement Friday she was "thankful for the bravery and service" of the two officers shot, saying that they "courageously put their lives on the lines ... as all of our public safety officers do every day, to protect their fellow citizens and to keep our communities and our state safe."

Hassan said she has spoken with both officers and that she's "grateful that they are expected to recover."

"My thoughts are with them and their families, and I join all Granite Staters in wishing them a speedy and full recovery," she added.

Copyright © 2016, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.

Check Also

Marine who lost both legs is running 31 marathons in 31 days to raise money for wounded veterans

Credit: Rob Jones(NEW YORK) -- Rob Jones, a Marine who lost his legs in 2010 to an explosion while overseas in Afghanistan, is traveling the country to run 31 marathons in 31 days while raising money for wounded veteran charities.Jones' month of marath...